For those who have followed my journey for a while you would know I have a food blog called Baking with Maggie. It started off as an actual blog but it's now a food-stagram with images of places I eat at and things I cook (on occasion). But food has always been an important element of my life, it's something I love to do for my friends and family, and it's something that can make a sh*tty day better (excuse my french).
This recipe, that I'm sharing with you all today, is one of my recent favourites.
Now, I'm not a vegan but I have friends who are and because of them it's opened my eyes to another world. One of my closest friends has been vegan since the end of high school and our catch ups are frequently at vegan cafes, which is how I fell in love with vegan desserts.
Having baked for years I could not imagine a dessert tasting amazing given it excludes vital elements like butter and eggs, but here I am today telling you all that vegan desserts are possibly BETTER than normal desserts (or at least, you wouldn't be able to taste the difference...)
So, for all you dessert lovers and vegan-curious, here's a recipe for you!
Recipe makes approximately a 30cm tart.
1½ cups plain flour
½ brown sugar
½ cup ground raw cashews
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoon dairy-free margarine (I used Nuttexlex Lite)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Dark Chocolate Ganache
400g dark dairy-free chocolate, coarsely chopped
400ml lite coconut milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C, fan forced.
2. Lightly oil tart pan.
3. I don't have a food processor so I had mixed this and it really doesn't take much effort or time - combine cashew crust ingredients together until resembles a crumble.
4. Using your fingers, press mixture into tart tin - tip: wet your fingers to prevent the mixture sticking to your fingers too much.
5. Bake for 15mins or until golden brown, set aside to cool.
6. For the ganache, put chocolate into a large bowl and set aside.
7. Over a medium heat in a saucepan pour coconut milk and vanilla and heat until it just begins to boil.
8. Pour coconut and vanilla mixture over chocolate and stir until combined.
9. Pour ganache into tart tin with the cashew crust base.
10. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or until set.